I am going to show you the best way to start a blog.
Blog for profit or blog for passion. Or both.
There are many ways to start a blog. Just google “how to start a blog” and you will see thousands of articles. They show a variety of steps on how to start.
I have a unique definition.
I believe you have not started a blog until you have made your first dollar or added your first subscriber.
Anyone can create a website or blog. You can create a website in 30 seconds. It is like building a house. A house is not a home until you put in furnishings and personal belongings and, finally, people.
But first, there is a difference between a website and a blog. A blog is meant to be personal, informal, and updated frequently to encourage social media interaction. This is not necessarily the case with websites.
I have several websites where I have included a blog as part of the website. The website pages tend to be static without the ability for readers to leave comments.
Steps involved in creating your own blog
- Choose niche
- Do market research sounds scary, but it is not.
- Build a blog
- Create content
- Get traffic
- Create customers
- Make money!
Choose Your Niche
This step is all about finding the things or activities that make you happy. If you are passionate or have a great interest in doing something, you are more likely to see it through to the end.
That special something that gets you out of bed in the morning.
To select your niche, brainstorm ideas. Make a list
Write the down on a paper or type them into an electronic document.
Once you have listed your ideas, rank them from the most to least important in life.
The next step is to do some market research on the viability of your ideas.
Do Market Research
Sounds scary doesn’t it?
The purpose of doing market research is to simply determine whether or not you can make money from your ideas. This requires understanding your industry, your customers, and your competition.
We want to know if people are interested in your niches. Are they popular? Are people willing to spend money? Are there problems to be solved?
Find a problem people have that you can help solve.
We also want to look at trends. You don’t want to start blogging about the modern version of the buggy whip industry, do you?
How to do market research
1. Do keyword search on your proposed product or service – Use a keyword search tool to identify words or phrases related to your niche, product, or service. A good keyword tool will help you identify the volume of people looking for your keywords.
2. Identify your ideal customer or target audience – who do you want visiting and reading your blog? The idea is to identify potential readers or customers.
3. Find your competitiors – I like to find information about my competitors to see what they do well and not so well. Semrush and Spyfu are useful tools for finding information related to my keywords and competitors.
Build a Blog
This step is about choosing a blogging platform, web host, choosing a domain name, designing, and building your blog.
Want to do it yourself (DIY)?
I find it easiest to use an online website builder.
Generally, your online website builder comes with a content management system or platform. This is an application for the creation and modification of website content and includes web-based publishing.
WordPress is one of the most popular content management systems used. WordPress allows a user, even beginners with limited expertise, to add, modify and remove content from
a Web site without requiring webmaster services.
To start a blog you’ll need to select a blogging platform – or a tool that helps you to get your content up onto the web.
There are a number of platforms available onlilne. I am most familiar with Wealthy Affiliate, Solo Build it!, Weebly, and Squarespace as I have built websites using the first three. A friend of mine, who happens to be a contestant on the season 8 Masterchef TV reality show, uses Squarespace for his chef website.
Creating content is all about connecting with people through articles and posts.
People are on the internet for a number of reasons. Primarily, they want to:
- find something or someone
- buy or sell
- be entertained
- get directions
Your blog should add value to users’ lives. Content should help by providing information, facilitating transactions, giving direction, or entertaining
Your content should be optimized for search engines and sharing on social media. Your content will never be read if people cannot find it.
Creating great user experience leads to more traffic.
Eventually, search engines will index your blog enabling people to find your website when searching. I recommend using Google Search Console to help with your optimization efforts. Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tools) provided by Google for webmasters on a no-charge basis. It allows you to check indexing status and optimize your blog visibility.
Attract more visitors by using:
- lead magnets – which are free giveaways (ebooks, reports, guides, coupons, tickets, etc) in exchange for a visitor’s email address. When a visitor leaves an email address, the visitor will receive an email with the lead magnet.
- content upgrade – which is bonus material directly related to the content of a blog post. It could be an expanded version of the post provided in pdf document format.
- printable documents – checklists, how to, ebooks or copies of posts and articles usually in the form of a pdf document
- email marketing system – which may be an automated to deliver content by email. Content may include multi-part training lessons, user guides, or other digital information.
Creating customers is all about helping people solve their problems. Adding value to their lives.
This process started with identifying your target audience. Understanding what they need helps you create relationships with your readers.
Peter Drucker, the founder of modern management, stated,
“Because the purpose of business is to create a customer, the business enterprise has two–and only two–basic functions: marketing and innovation. Marketing and innovation produce results; all the rest are costs. Marketing is the distinguishing, unique function of the business.”
As you add content to your blog, ask your readers for feedback – what do they want to see. Surveys are also another way to get feedback.
Part of helping people is being responsive. Respond in a timely and honest manner.
Being honest and transparent with your dealings creates trust. And ultimately leads visitors to purchasing products and services from you.
If you have any questions or comments about how to start a blog to make money, please fill in and submit the form below. I love feedback.